Small-group Tea Farm Experience in Wazuka, Kyoto ( 和束町, 京都 )
Embark on a journey to Wazuka, Japan, and indulge in an immersive tea farm tour. Home to many verdant tea fields, this idyllic town is the perfect place to take a step back and lose yourself in an unhurried tea session.
What you can expect
Meet your friendly hosts at Kizu station along the Nara line (straight from Kyoto station) and be transported via private car to the tea fields. Along the way, take in scenic views of the inaka (countryside).
Upon arrival, you will have the unique opportunity to experience tea-picking firsthand. With a basket slung at your side, you will learn to select the tender shoots and the proper way of snapping them off gently. This is followed by a tour of the tea factory, to learn about the production process of various tea types.
Tea-lovers will enjoy the next part of the tour, where you get to try your hand at making either hojicha or kamairicha. The amazing aroma from tea roasting never fails to delight; of course, you will be able to bring a pack of the tea (fruits of your labour!) back home.
We then proceed to prepare for lunch, and you will participate in the making of chasoba and/ or other tea-related dishes. After lunch, we will taste a variety of organically-grown teas – our team does experimental teas from time to time, and you can sample them if they happen to be available.
As the journey comes to an end, you’ll be transported back to Kizu station, taking with you unforgettable memories of a truly authentic Japanese tea farm experience.
- Meeting time: 10:00 am JST
- Meet at Kizu station, East Exit, pick-up & drop-off point (Host will be holding a sign showing "Hvala Tea Tour")
- Estimated drop-off time: 3:00 pm JST
- Tour will be conducted in English
- Wear comfortable shoes, jeans and long sleeve shirt if possible. Hat/cap is a good-to-have.
- Tea-picking subject to change due to weather conditions.
- Please inform us if anyone in the group has mobility issue as the terrain may not be suitable for the elderly or young children. We can make necessary changes to the itinerary to accommodate them.
- Note that due to organic nature of the farm, there are insects and spiders around. We can arrange for the guest to skip the tea picking portion if they are afraid of insects.
The tour can be adapted for vegan dietary restrictions and allergies. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request upon booking. We are able to cater to dietary requests if they are made at least a week in advance.
1 week in advance for full refund. Payment processing fees will be deducted from the refund amount.